Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:58:06 -0600

http://securityfocus.com/archive/1/330574/2003-07-20/2003-07-26/0

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:25:15AM -0600, asclark wrote:
Hey thanks for the improved rule. I've tested it with my IDS using both
scanners and actual exploit code and it doesn't detect anything, even
after attacking the IDS machines directly. It's possible it is simply not
compatible with the IDS that I run (snort based so it should be), but
hopefully others can test/use it.

It looks right to me though. It's pretty much the same as what I was
working on except for the content strings to match on.

Did you get it off a site or did you write it? If you wrote it yourself
I'd be very interested to know how you got the content data. I tried
sniffing packets and performing the attack but I couldn't get any
consistant data that I could use for detection with either tcpdump or
ethereal. Otherwise could you point me to the site you got it from ?

THanks

A.

?      Anthony S. Clark          ?
?      asclark () lanl gov          ?