Snort mailing list archives

Re: Status of Snort and the Rules - Stalled???

From: Francesco <friscom () tin it>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:01:49 +0200

Recently.
ISS sent out this message to some of their customers and partners

(..)
I did some recent checking into our Network IDS competition and how they
went about protecting their customers from the new Microsoft vulnerability
(http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/alerts/id/147).  X-Force shipped XPUs for this
vulnerability and the big Cisco DoS already (7/18 and 7/19).  Here is how
everyone else stacks up:

 Symantec Manhunt               No protection
 Cisco IDS                      No protection
 Netscreen                      No protection
 Intruvert/NAI                  No protection
 Snort                          No protection

(..)
The promotional purpose is clear but the content is not far from what everyone here would like to say first.

Now, the question everyone can ask is: what is the status with such rule/exploit? Some of us are better than others to release and support new rules. I had a look at the RPC rules, its status is : v. 1.46, released June 2003.

I'd like to contribute in an active manner, but maybe my resources are scarce on this side. Nonetheless, some sort of priority could really be necessary in cases like this.

Comments?
Francesco