Snort mailing list archives

Re: eth1 and eth2 Breaks Default Route

From: John Crain <port123tcp () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, I did a sysctl -A, but did not see anything
related to promisc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-John

--- Jacques <jbrierre () bellsouth net> wrote:
did you query kernel parameter with sysctl?

-jacques.

Sorry... can't remember syntax

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 04:18  PM, John Crain
wrote:

Dusty,

I just tested that on one of my boxen and it
worked, sort of... The
default route comes up a-ok, but when I do an
ifconfig on the
interface that is the sensor, there is no
"PROMISC" notation. I put
"PROMISC=yes" in ifcfg-eth1 file, but no luck. Did
I type something
wrong?

Thanks.

-John

Dusty Hall <halljer () auburn edu> wrote:
John,

Here's all I have in our eth1 startup file...

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
PROMISC=yes

Later,

-Dusty

John Crain 7/22/2003 2:57:20 PM >>>
There was a typo in the original message. The
correction follows:

A buddy of mine asked the following question on
comp.os.linux.networking, but those folks don't
fully
understand why an interface would want to be set
0.0.0.0/0. If anyone can shed some light on a fix,
I'd
like to know. Here's the original question:

I have Red Hat 9 on an X86 with three (3)
interfaces
working as an IDS. eth0 is my management interface
with a live IP address. eth1 and eth2 both have
their
IP addresses set to 0.0.0.0/0 for data collection.
All IP addresses are set in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?.

When the box boots up my default route is shot
through
eth2 (should be eth0) even though I have my
GATEWAY
keyword set to the gateway I want. The following
are
my ifcfg-eth? entries:

DEVICE=eth0
onfiltered=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=1.2.3.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
IPADDR=0.0.0.0
NETMASK=0.0.0.0
NETWORK=0.0.0.0
onfiltered=yes
GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
IPADDR=0.0.0.0
NETMASK=0.0.0.0
NETWORK=0.0.0.0
onfiltered=yes
GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

I added "GATEWAY=1.2.3.1" to ifcfg-eth1 and
ifcfg-eth2
to see if that would fix things. It doesn't...

Q1: How do I get the system to recognize the
proper
gateway as specified in ifcfg-eth0?
Q2: Is there a way to tell an interface to boot in
promiscous mode? I'm thinking there is a keyword
that
can be placed in ifcfg-eth?, but I can't find any
reference to that...

http://search.yahoo.com

With VMware you can run multiple operating systems
on a single
machine.
WITHOUT REBOOTING! Mix Linux / Windows / Novell
virtual machines at
the
same time. Free trial click here:
http://www.vmware.com/wl/offer/345/0