Snort mailing list archives

Re: activate dynamic

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Slighter, Tim wrote:

When SOCKS or PROXY scans take place, there are usually several hundred or
even thousands within a very short period of time.  I had asked if there was
a way to instruct or craft snort so that it would log the first SOCKS or
PROXY scan but then stop logging any subsequent scans of this type from the
same host. (Similar to ISS event propogation).  Someone mentioned using
activate/dynamic, however, from all that I have seen, Activate/Dynamic is
another variation of "tagging" and I have no interest in tagging any of
these sessions.  Have also experimented with ruleset, but this essentially
would allow me to specify a ruleset that would allow of this type of traffic
to "PASS".  So, the precise goal here is to instruct snort to log or alert
the first and ONLY the first PROXY/SOCKS scan from a host and then do not
log or alert on the rest.  Unless I am overlooking something, is there
anyway to accomplish this?

If you're asking what I think you are--No.

You want something that 'counts' the times a rule is fired and then alerts
based on a threshold?

-----
Erek Adams