Snort mailing list archives

Re: fun with receive only cables and hubs

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 17:11:01 -0500

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:09, Scott Renna wrote:
Well I had gotten my receive-only cable working over a hub for the time
being until I can get my boss to purchase a tap or I can locate
capactiors.  Here's the thing, all of a sudden, I'm getting "No Carrier"
on the interface with the receive-only cable.  The hub no longer
recognizes a link while before it had no problems.  Has anyone else seen
this behavior before?  I'm running FreeBSD4.8.

I'm not sure which cable you are using (Snort FAQ or the one with a
capacitor inline), but in either case, you may have a bad crimp
connection. Just recrimp the ends and see if that helps.

I know this sounds pretty obvious, and you may have done that already,
but that's just what it look like :)

Regards,
Frank