Snort mailing list archives

Re: spp_portscan2??

From: Bill Terwilliger <bill_terwilliger () harvard edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:20:02 -0400

portscan2 is snort's next generation portscan detection preprocessor. It allows you to configure configure the max number of hosts and/or ports that a portscanner can hit before it is alerted on. The parameters are:

scanners_max - max number of potential portscanners that snort will track in the tree targets_max - max number of different targets that snort will track (I think that this is per portscanner, but I forget)
target_limit - max targets a portscanner can hit before an alert is sent
port_limit - max ports that a portscanner can hit before an alert is sent - the port count is a sum of the ports from all hosts (very cool) timeout - the portscanner's inactivity timeout - portscanner's will be removed from the tree if this value is hit
log - portscan2 has its own log

Here are the default values:
#define DEFAULT_MAX_SCANNER 1000
#define DEFAULT_TARGET_COUNT 1000