Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql/snort backup issue

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:32:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, John Byrnes wrote:

[...snip...]

After I do this, I have to restart all of my sensors to get them to
resume inserting events in the db. (This is my problem) I'm assuming
this is because the mysqldump script must lock the db for inserts, and
snort must stop trying if the db is unavailable, and doesn't retry. I
could be completely wrong.

Normal behavior.  If Snort can't connect to the DB, then you loose alerts.
Instead, use BarnYard and it will automagically spool alerts until the DB
comes back.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams