Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules for detecting spyware

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:16:01 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:54:49AM -0500, Marc Quibell wrote:
I've done a little checking, so far no luck. I wonder if it's possible to setup
some Snort rules for detecting spyware data. I'll keep looking for the actual
data content of such packets, but does anyone already have some rules? TIA!

Sure its possible to detect spyware.  Do we do it currently?  Nope.  But
thats cause I don't have packet captures for it.  The easiest method for
finding packets is to install the spyware in question, then sit back
and watch.  :)

-brian