Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Snort-devel] IDS vs IPS

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:33:47 -0500

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 18:36, Jason wrote:
Bob Walder wrote:
My 0.02 worth is that a Network IPS (NIPS) is a device with two
interfaces that operates in-line to detect suspicious traffic and
INSTANTLY discard the offending packet and the rest of the suspicious
flow.

What we have here is a definition of an IPS that matches pretty closely
what firewalls have been able to do for some time.

Not quite. There are difference in the way firewalls and intrusion
detection systems analyze data. For example, I have not seen a firewall
that can identify a CodeRed attempt by name for example. Yeah, you can
block HTTP methods and put limiters on URL's etc (you mentioned CP as an
example which can do that with HTTP content stuff). But I have not come
across a firewall with a 'signature set' like IDS' have them......yet.

It is true that most firewalls are under-utilized. However, an IPS
(being based on an IDS) has capabilities beyond a firewall. Policy
violations (or network flow anomalies) can be detected by firewalls and
cause some sort of reaction/enforcement (CP's SAM is one example).
However, firewalls don't have statistical anomaly detection like some
IDS' do.

Let's draft a matrix of capabilities:

Metric      |  Firewall      |  IDS           |  IPS
Signature   | Limited packet | Extensive      | See IDS
Analysis    | inspection     | signature sets |
            | due to lack of | allow wide     |
            | rule set defin.| pattern match  |
Protocol    | Mostly present | Present        | Present
validation  |                |                |
Traffic flow| Present, that's| Present        | Present
Anomaly Det.| what they do   |                | Present
Statisitcal | Absent         | Present        | Absent (???)
Anomaly Det.|                |                | (as of today)
Packet Log  | Logging mostly | capable of     | See IDS
            | high level     | logging content|
Protocol    | Present        | Absent         | Present
normalizat  |                |                |
ion         |                |                |
Activity    | Active         | Mostly Passive | Active

If someone wants to take this further, feel free. But as you can see,
IPS and firewalls are not quite alike (but neither are IPS and IDS! :)

Regards,
Frank