Snort mailing list archives

Re: Session statistics

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:18:10 -0500

If you want to use snort to glean session info, rather than a third party tool like Argus [0], then take a look at the
spp_stream4 patch that is included with sguil [1]. From the comments in the patch:

/* Added a new stats type "db". The main purpose is to get session stats loaded
 * into the database for datamining using sguil (http://www.satexas.com/~bamf/sguil/).
 *
 * Config from snort.conf:
 * keepstats db /log/dir
 *
 *
 * Output is pipe deliminated and a new file (/log/dir/ssn_log.<milliseconds>)
 * is created each time the deleted sessions are flushed (see FLUSH_DELAY):
 *
 * xid|start_time|end_time|src_ip|dst_ip|src_port|dst_port|src_pckts|dst_pckts|src_bytes|dst_bytes
 *
 * xid is the time in milliseconds at SessionDelete.
 *
 *
 * Bammkkkk
*/

With the patch installed, the stream4 args in my snort.conf look like:

  preprocessor stream4: detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts, keepstats db /snort_data/ssn_logs

If you run sguil, then sensor_agent.tcl passes the files to sguild for loading into the db. If not, you create a simple
script that checks for new *.log files every n secs and use LOAD to get the pipe deliminated data into the DB. A mysql
example would be:

  LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '<filename>' INTO TABLE sessions FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'

BTW, what you've 'stumbled' on is part of what some of us call "Network Security Monitoring (NSM)".  Richard Bejtlich
[2] posted a brief (but good) description here [3].  If anyone is interested, Rich is doing a webcast "Implementing
network security monitoring with open source tools" on Aug 28th [4].

Oh, and I can't plug NSM without making mention of Todd Heberlein [5]. Rich and I both realize that we were lucky
enough to begin our careers in the AFCERT and use technologies that evolved directly from Todd's work.

Bammkkkk

[0] http://www.qosient.com/argus/
[1] http://sguil.sourceforge.net
[2] http://www.taosecurity.com