Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is the -s switch still there?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:13:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Donald Heffernan wrote:

Is the -s switch still a feature? I have been using Snort for years in a
very low tech way on my home network. I don't have it output to a DB. I
simply modified a copy of Andy Swan's snort2html and used that to
generate an html file from alerts posted to /var/log/secure with the -s
switch. I just upgraded to a 2.x version of Snort and find that no
alerts are going to var/log/secure when I start it with the -s switch.

From the output of 'snort -?':

[...]
        -s         Log alert messages to syslog
[...]

Still works as it did.  Check and see where your syslog.conf is logging
the auth.info facility to.

Can I still do this? Alternatively, does anyone have a simple script for
quickly viewing alerts from /var/log/snort or from alert_fast? I don't
get enough traffic at warrant an elaborate setup.

Sure!

        tail -f /var/log/snort/alert

Can't get too much simpler than that! ;-)  Seriously, that may work for
you, or you might something a bit more.  Check out the report generators
on the Snort website--There's about 5 or so in the contrib download
section.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams