Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hogwash vs. Snort-inline

From: Ralf Spenneberg <lists () spenneberg org>
Date: 19 Aug 2003 18:47:57 +0200

Am Die, 2003-08-19 um 16.22 schrieb Matt Kettler:
At 03:28 PM 8/19/2003 +0530, Ravi wrote:
Hi,
When coming to free IPS softwares, I heard more of snort_inline and
HOgwash,but I tend to  snort_inline.
I have downloaded hogwash too and gone through the source, It seems to be
using similar scan engine what snort is using
Correct me if I am wrong!!

Hogwash's scan engine isn't just similar to snort.. it is snort. Hence the
name hogwash (a hog is a kind of pig, like the snort logo)
Hogwash used the snort engine a few years ago. Today hogwash uses a new
engine called H2. They want to build a compatibility layer which will
support snort rules, but haven't so far. So the rules use a different
Syntax.
Looking at the CVS there still is active development although the
mailing list is rather silent.

At the moment, I would prefer Snort-Inline.

Cheers,

Ralf
--
Ralf Spenneberg