Snort mailing list archives

RE: ifconfig may not correctly show promiscuous mode under linux

From: "Gordon Cunningham" <gacunningham () bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:30:54 -0400

My experience was different.  This was part of the problem I ran into
recently when adding additional interfaces on the machine.  Bringing up eth0
as a sniffed interface, along with it being the actual management and
therefore IP-addressed interface, and not SPECIFICALLY bringing up the
additional non-IP'd interfaces in promiscuous mode, caused the additional
interfaces to see no traffic.  I simply added, for example,

        ifconfig eth1 up promisc

in my startup for each additional interface and things were fine.  I'm
running RedHat 8.0 with patches, 4 snort sessions, and 8 barnyard sessions
on this test unit.  Ifconfig properly showed me the interfaces were NOT in
promiscuous mode when I brought them up without the "promisc" on the
ifconfig command line and then started snort.

Apparently, your mileage may vary.

- Gordon

"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."