Snort mailing list archives

RE: logging traffic

From: "Kevin Binsfield" <kbinsfield () iosintegrated com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:57:21 -0400

Multilog, part of D. J. Bernstein's daemontools rotates logs read from stdin
and also timestamps more accurately.

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
To: Faiz Ahmad Shuja <faizshuja () yahoo it>
cc: zidan () popmail com, snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] logging traffic

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Faiz Ahmad Shuja wrote:

Yes, I think you can. Anyone please correct if I am wrong. You can limit
file size by using unified output plugin.

Close, but not quite.  He wanted files to be rotated every time they
reached a certain size.  Unified doesn't do that.  The limit is the max
size of the file.  Once the size is reached, the file pointer wraps around
and starts filling up again from the 'front' of the file.  I think I've
heard things like that referred to as a 'circular file'.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams