Snort mailing list archives

Re: Memory Usage - and eth2 Interface not monitored ?

From: Joerg Mertin <smurphy () solsys org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:56:06 +0200

Hi Erek,

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 18:26, Erek Adams wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Joerg Mertin wrote:

[...snip...]

1. The Memory Usage of the snort-process exeeds 150Mbytes. WEll - it's
quite much - as my lex-Itx system has 256Mbytes of memory only. Is that
normal ?

Yep.  spp_conversation and spp_portscan2 allocate a lot of memory by
default.  If you don't use those two, you'll cut down your memory
consumption quite a bit.  You might also want to look at the 'lowmem'
config option.

Hmmm. I think I have to dig into details first to see what I can remove and
what not. Thx for the hint. Are there any details on the philosophy behind ?
Or a doc (I'll check the FAQ right away).

2. When I configure the Interface eth2 (using the -i eth2), snort stops
logging. Putting it back to eth0 brings the Logging entries again.

[...snip...]

eth2 - DHCP - Wan Interface - Dynamic IP Address, and Masquerading/NAT
active

[...snip...]

Dynamic in what way?  If it's the WAN interface then you need to change
HOME_NET to use the 'outside' IP and not the 10.x range.

Dynamic through DHCP - it means - from time to time it can change.
However - isn´t the snort Philosophy not the same as in firewalls ?
HOME_NET is the Private LAN, and the EXTERNAl_NEt is the Firewall Device ?
What do I do with my Private 10.0.x.0 LAN's then ? Will be taken into account
only for the different Ignore rules etc. right ?

I'm quite confused here ...
But the tests do show a Whole lot of traffic - damn ...
In 10 Secs 1200 events ... *pfff* Have to get that down somehow ..
Anyone knows from experience what to do about that ??? Especially:
"BAD-TRAFFIC syn to multicast address" ? Thought I had blocked all that
through the Shorewall rules. I didn't understood the philosophy of snort yet.
.oO(RTFMing)

Thx for the hints and the Fast answer ;)

Cheers
        Joerg
--
Calm down, it's *____only* ones and zeroes.
| Joerg Mertin              :  smurphy () solsys org                (Home)|