Snort mailing list archives

Alert file exceeds 2GB

From: "Dusty Hall" <halljer () auburn edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:28:44 -0500

The problem that I'm running into is importing a snort log file in
tcpdump format into a mysql db using snort.  While importing this log
the alert file grows to the filesystem 2GB limit and then exits.  My
question is why does it write to the alert file when I'm importing into
mysql.  The snort.conf file that I'm using only has this for the output
line:

output database: log, mysql, user=***** password=***** dbname=snort
host=localhost sensor_name=2

Command line syntax:

/usr/local/bin/snort -dve -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -l
/usr/local/snort/logs -dr
/usr/local/snort_logs/tcplogs/snort-0417\@0000.log &> /dev/null

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dusty