Snort mailing list archives

Snort Installation problem

From: Aaron Babalola <roniebabs () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 01:48:19 -0700 (PDT)

I have been trying to install snort for some time but keep having problem.

With my linux box, after installation, when i run with

#snort -dvi eth0, it runs

but when i run by just typing snort, it gives an error "unable to open rule file:bad-traffic or /etc/bad-traffic

when i run with # snort -A full -c snort.conf, it give error "unable to open rule file: snort.conf or ./snort.conf

It also keep giving a warning that unknown alert.syslog

I guess it's a problem with my file locatio, but i have tried to move many file around but will not still work. I will
appreciate someone helping me out.

With my windows XP box, when i try running by typing snort,  it says error, can not get write access to logging
directory "log" access denied

Thanks