Snort mailing list archives

RE: 55808 window size [WAS: (no subject)]

From: "Coyle, Brian" <Brian.Coyle () disney com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:11:14 -0400

snrt <snrt () packetstorm org> wrote:

[major snipage]
Hello, im using snort 2.x on RedHat 9 and added the signature from the
snort-sig list posted by Brian Coyle for the 55808 trojan traffic.

I saw a hit from a single address over a few seconds late at night and I
am wondering if I did something wrong with the rule.

Snort tagged it and Acid shows it. The wierd thing is that I have 78 hits
from the same IP address going to port 443 (my webserver port acting as
port 80 since my isp blocks port 80 ... bah).

So can anyone explain what the deal is.

As of this morning, I've now seen a couple of false positives from this rule.
Occasionally, a source with legit traffic[1] will start with a window size of
55808.  Snort triggers on the 55808/SYN packet, but subsequent packets have
a reduced window size.  The IP Seq. numbers will also vary as expected for
regular traffic.

HTH!

                                    -- Brian, GCIA

[1] I've seen mostly spammers targeting a mailserver, so 'legit' is loosely
defined.  ;)