Snort mailing list archives

DDoS?? almost 40k 'TCP Data Offset is less than 5!' alerts in 30 mins

From: lpj0508 () netscape net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:01:05 -0400

hi,

i've been seeing around 30 tcp data offset alerts daily on my ids, and was not really worried by that.

what got me worried was what happened last night when there was a sudden flood of such packets hitting 1 of my servers.
this happened for abt 30 mins and the packets all came from different sources. furthermore, the destination ports of
the packets seem to be random (most of these not even listening ports on my server).

it looks really like a kind of distributed denial of service attack to me. has anyone seen this before? is such packets
(tcp offset < 5) known to cause any harm to a system, ie. higher load, compromise?

hope someone can shed some light on this.

lpj