Snort mailing list archives

Re: question on distributed snort collection

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:00:10 -0500

All my sensors run FreeBSD with IPSEC enabled. I have an FreeBSD IPSEC GW that all the sensors establish tunnels with.
From there the data is routed to an internal network that consitsts of a central DB and GUI server. Any of us analyst
can connect to the GUI server (either from the local net or an ssh tunnel), and manage events thru a GUI console.
Although we use a proprietary interface right now, our plans are to move to sguil (http://sguil.sf.net - yeah, I
plugged it again), in the future. The DB becomes the biggest hassle (we are using postgres currently, but mysql
w/sguil). At one point I think we scaled to eight sensors inserting a few hundred thousand events and around 10 million
connections/day.

Bammkkkk