Snort mailing list archives

Re: Was my host hijacked?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:01:51 -0400

You're going to have to dig deeper than just overview reports.

What source and destination ports were used? This will tell you a whole lot more about what is really going on.

For example, the events to 64.141.14.2 are likely just you surfing websites and opening pages with lots of images on them. This can look to the portscan2 preprocessor like a portscan, because your client may open dozens or hundreds of http connections within a second as all the images get loaded. If portscan2 drops packets and misses the original syn, it can become confused and call it a "syn-ack scan" as the handshake replies come back.

The reason I strongly suspect 64.141.14.2 is just websurfing activity is the reverse DNS entry for that IP.. www.jennicam.org. Unless of course you've not been going there, in which case you might want to do some tcpdump sniffing of the traffic heading to and from that IP:

tcpdump -i <interface> host 64.141.14.2