Snort mailing list archives

Re: Am I in the right place? (was: Tips for using ACID in a multi-adm in environment)

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:20:24 -0500

Jon,

I have both of these messages saved, with the intent on replying in detail to both. Unfortuneatly, I haven't had a lot
of extra time on my hands lately. I do work for a Fortune 500 Company, and we use snort very successfully. We have
sensors in many different locations, and I work remotely (telecommute). Although we use snort as our 'base' IDS, we
have our own interface and DB schema. For reasons I won't go into detail about, we cannot release that interface. I am,
however, working on a opensource project that will replace our proprietary implementation at some point. This project
can be found on sourceforge at http://sguil.sourceforge.net.  Sguil allows multiple clients to connect, and work
together while monitoring multiple sensors. Events are analyzed and then placed into different incident categories, or
marked 'NA' (for no further action required). When an analyst marks an event (or a series of events) for
classification, it is removed from all connected consoles. The events remain in the DB, with a history of who
categorized the event and any comments the analyst made on it. "Archived" events can be pulled back up in the console
with simple SQL queries. Sguil also provides a series of hooks to other third party tools like ethereal, p0f, and
tcpflow. I suppose I could go on and on, and we really do need to develop an analysts guide for using sguil (time,
time, time!), but your best bet is to download it and give it a whirl. I'll gladly answer any questions you may have
and am more than willing to accept any critcism or help you have to offer. My goal (with the support of my management),
is to build a tool that is truely useful for us, and companies like ours, with support of the opensource community. The
worst part of having a proprietary system, is knowing that if key individuals go away, so does your support.

Bammkkkk