Snort mailing list archives

Re: no log for the entire network

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:54:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Milko Ilari wrote:

i newer of snort...recently i installed it on my network but i saw
acid alerts me only for attacks on the server where snort is istalled
but not for the entire network. i think i set all the configurations correctly
but nothing. someone can help me?

Sounds like the physical connection is your problem.  Is the Snort sensor
plugged into a switch?  If so, you need port mirroring, SPAN, or a network
monitor port to make it work.  If it's plugged into a hub, make sure it's
not dual speed auto sensing hub.  If it is, it will only see traffic
that's at the same speed as the sensor.

Check your physical portion and see.

Cheers!

-----