Snort mailing list archives

multiple interfaces on a Snort sensor

From: francesco <friscom () libero it>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:57:31 +0200

In the near past (March 11-13) there were a couple of threads about the possibility to use multiple interfaces on a sensor, to collect alerts and logs from multiple sources. One possible use could be a sensor interface before the firewall and one placed elsewhere, behind it.

Normally the outside interface should be configured in stealth mode, in order to avoid (as much as possible) its detection from malicious sources.

The dual interface is supported (though not recommended, I understand, by some people who replied to the original message) by inserting the option:
        -i any
on the command line.

This configuration works also if you have a stealth mode interface, i.e. , you do not get error messages when you run the process but it seems that the logs and the alert are not from the two interfaces but only from the interface having the IP address.

I tried this with version 1.9.1, so I cannot confirm whether version 2.0.x has a different behavior.

I wish to read some comments from those who also experimented such configuration, that in my humble opinion could work fine (no significant packet loss) with some good quality ethernet cards and a fast (current) PC.