Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a firewall.

From: "David Glosser" <david_glosser () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 23:46:49 -0500

MessageI agree that an external sensor would be a Good Thing,  just that it would be the last thing I would do.  You
first need plug any holes that may exist with packets allowed through your firewall, and  be perfectly comfortable with
snort, have it tuned nicely, etc, before placing a sensor outside your firewall.  That guy will be receiving  alerts of
a totally different order of magnitude.   I'm guessing 100 or 1000 times as many alerts than the internal sensors.
(does anyone have any hard data on this?)

Now, if I had geographically dispersed sites, I may want sensors outside both firewalls, to determine if any kind of
coordinated attack is happening....