Snort mailing list archives

Re: How config Preprocessor (other than the portscan PP) to ignore c ertain hosts?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 May 2003 Brad.Watkins () mail state ky us wrote:

I am running Nessus on the same subnet as my RH 7.3 box that is running
Snort 2.0 (W/SQL) and ACID.  Every time I do an audit from Nessus it floods
the logs with alerts.  I understand how to ignore hosts for the portscan
preprocessors, but how do I get the other preprocessors to ignore a host or
hosts?  Stream4 is the biggest problem as it shows all the stealth scans
that Nesses is performing.  As I understand it writing rules will not due
this as the preprocessors are acting before rules are applied.

You'll have to use a BPF filter.

        snort -c /etc/snort.conf 'not host 192.168.0.4 and not port 22'

That will stop the packets from ever getting into Snort.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams