Snort mailing list archives

Re: sidestep

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:50:44 -0400

From what I read, sidestep does a fragmentation style attack, but rather than using the IP or TCP layers (which is what fragrouter and the like do), it uses features of particular application protocols to do it.

So basically in this example it's making a bunch of redundant commands to RPC, and at the application layer, apparently RPC will re-assemble it.

Another discussion can be found here:
http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/rpc_evas.php

I think that sidestep, and similar attacks, is one reason why snort has a rpc_decode preprocessor.