Snort mailing list archives

RE: Newbie Question

From: "Pacheco, Michael F." <MPacheco () elcom com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:07:03 -0400

If you did a source install, look in the snortsource/contrib folder for
S99snort -  do a

cp S99snort /etc/init.d/snort
cd /etc/init.d   (Now edit the file to your config - interface name - snort
* group name (nobody on my box))
* make sure its executable (chmod 755 snort)
cd /etc/rc3.d
ln -s ../init.d/snort S99snort
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/snort S99snort

Now snort will start on boot, and you can gracefully kill it with PID
tracking by issuing

/etc/init.d/snort stop  (or start or restart - if you just updated your
rules)

Your mileage may vary - runs great on RedHat 7.3, 8.- and 9.0 - If you did
an rpm install your out of luck, I'd guess it would auto install this script
but I'm not sure because I don't do rpm's of software I change a lot.

Enjoy,

Mike Pacheco