Snort mailing list archives

RE: IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a fi rewall.

From: Philip Davidson <Philip () dpc-paris com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:37:47 -0600

As far as the inside, get you a little hub.  3Com makes a good hub Office
Connect, I think is what it's called.

Take the line from your router/firewall, run into the hub.  Plug your Snort
box into one of the 4 or 8 ports on the front of the hub.

A hub is literally a repeater, where it repeats the signal it gets.  Now
take the line that was from your router/firewall to your switch and plug
into the front of the hub as well.  I think this will work for you.  Or you
could just mirror a port on the switch.  This could depend on the brand of
switch.

Anyhow, that's one...wait..two ways of setting it up internally.

Later,

Philip Davidson

DPC, Inc

1015 Maurice Fields Dr