Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort to Oracle

From: "Kreimendahl, Chad J" <Chad.Kreimendahl () umb com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:33:42 -0600

Download Oracle from the OTN site:
http://otn.oracle.com/software/content.html
If you're only using it for snort, try 9i Lite.  If you're going to use
some customized interface in a language like perl or C, you may want to
just go ahead and get the whole DB... (9i lite may have the libs you
need, but I have yet to see anyone test it).
Recompile the latest version of snort (1.9 or current) from cvs. Using
the following:

./configure --with-oracle=$ORACLE_HOME
Where $ORACLE_HOME is the variable you set as your ORACLE_HOME when you
installed.
Also, you MUST make sure ORACLE_HOME is defined for all users that are
going to use ORACLE... I recommend just doing it in /etc/profile.

In the contrib folder, make sure you create the database in oracle...
And make sure you set up a user to access that db.  This part is
definitely much more dificult than MySQL... Oracle is much more picky.

Then, in the config file...

output database: alert, oracle, user=<oracle_user> dbname=<db_sid>
password=<password> sensor_name=<name for your sensor>