Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cisco switch configuration for sensor

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:11:14 -0800 (PST)

It sounds fine but you almost never see the mistakes
until after they ruin your morning.  There is only one
way to find out if it works....  One thing though,
Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is used for
loop-prevention at layer 2.  If this is a SOHO setup
with no redundant connections to the switching
infrastructure then you can just turn STP off.  Switch
Port ANalyzer (SPAN) is normally used for sniffing on
Cisco Catalysts but that feature is in the bigger
switches like 6500s.  A 1900, if it is like a 2900
(never used a 1900), should just have port monitoring,
which is a slimmed-down version of SPAN.

--- gr8dane2 () bellsouth net wrote:
Ok, I checked the Cisco sites and believe I have
this setup properly.  I just wanted to run it past
the Snort gurus for confirmation before I hook it
up.  I am using a Cisco 1900 series switch that has
12 10baseT ports (1x-12x) and 2 100baseTX ports (Ax
and Bx).  I have a DSL router that is 10baseT
(plugged into port 1x), snort sensor with a 10/100
NIC (port Ax) and a firewall with 10/100 NIC (port
Bx).  I have enabled the Spanning-Tree protocal. I
have setup port Ax to monitor 1x and Bx.  Then I
disabled the web interface, of course.  I am using
the modified patch cable that will only allow
inbound traffic on the sensor, a cross-over cable on
the router, and a regular patch cable for the
firewall.  The sensor has a public NIC with no
bindings and a private NIC with local TCP/IP
settings that connects back to the LAN behind the
firewall, so it can report to MySQL server.  Anyone
see anything wrong with this before I hook it up?
As always, keep up the great work!  You all are very
helpful.

Sincerely,
Dane Howard

Understand how to protect your customers personal
information by implementing
SSL on your Apache Web Server. Click here to get our
FREE Thawte Apache
Guide:

=====