Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cant connect mysql server

From: Saad Kadhi <saad () docisland org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:44:53 +0100

Saul,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:54:15AM -0500, Saul Bosquez wrote:
It's not back, I issued the 'ps' command and its not running :(
I don't want to sound harsh  but  you  really  need  to  learn  and  get
accustomed with your linux distribution first thing. imho, a  successful
intrusion analyst needs -among other things- to master or at least  have
a good knowledge of the operating system they use.

since you are using linux,  there  are  many  good  howtos/articles/etc.
about system administration  out  there[0]  (get  a  look  for  example  at

now to get back to your  question,  if  you  have  learned  enough  *nix
administration, you would have realized that if a process is not running
you should start it. You can start it by hand or call it  in  a  startup
script so that it will start at boot time. Usually, the  software  comes
with instructions about how to do this. If it a vendor-made package, the
documentation is usually included within the package.

if you have installed mysql from source  (that  is,  you  have  compiled
mysql on your specific platform using the  source  distribution),  there
might be instructions in  README/INSTALL/etc  files  included  with  the
source distribution.

let's pretend that I don't know how to do this. It took me less  than  2
minutes (1min12s exactly) to figure this out:

  1. fire up google[1] in a browser windows
  2. enter MySQL as search string and feel lucky[2]
  3. click on documentation on the top navigation bar
  4. click on Searchable, with  user  comments  (3rd  link  under  MySQL
     Reference Manual)
  5. enter "starting up" under "Search the MySQL manual"
  6. click Go
  7. click 5th link: starting and stopping MySQL automatically

a page loads. it contains all the information you may need:

<quote>
mysql.server stop brings down the server by sending a signal to it.  You
can also take down the server manually by executing mysqladmin shutdown.

You need to add these start and stop commands to the appropriate  places
in your `/etc/rc*' files when you want to start up  MySQL  automatically
on your server.

On most current Linux distributions, it is sufficient to copy  the  file
mysql.server into the `/etc/init.d' directory (or `/etc/rc.d/init.d'  on
older Red Hat systems). Afterwards, run the following command to  enable
the startup of MySQL on system bootup:

shell> chkconfig --add mysql.server [3]
</quote>

not hard!  isn't  it?  as  Erek  Adams  pointed  out,  "help  _us_  help
_you_!"(tm). please do read his post[4] and  the  following  from  Brian
Topping.

Erek, how much drinks for this one ? :-)