Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on a 486 ?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:09:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Hilton De Meillon wrote:

will snort be able to run on a 486 ?. Will it be fast enough to monitor
a 128k line ?

Well, the first question is "Can you get an OS onto that 486?"  If you
can, you stand a good chance of getting snort on it.  Memory will be your
biggest problem.  As it stands now, snort wants something like ~92 meg if
you use the defaults.  I'm sure you'll want to drop that (stream4) down
some for that small of a box.

As for speed...  Well, that all depends.  There is no easy or right answer
other than "Try it."  :-/  What seems like enough sometimes isn't, and
what seems like not enough sometimes is.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.  :(

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get weird, the wierd turn pro."   H.S. Thompson