Snort mailing list archives

RE: SMTP Relaying bug

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:20:15 -0500

Weakness or not, this is open source after all.

[...snip...] but is there any way to
efectively reverse this, so that the alert reads that a mail message from
$EXTERNAL_NET was not relayed through $SMTP_SERVERS

You can change the rule message text to your hearts desire, but Snort will
continue to show "source_ip:port -> dest_ip:port" (i.e., $SMTP:25 ->
$EXTERNAL_NET:ANY) in its alert text.

You've got the source code, why not whetever make changes you desire?

Cheers!  :)