Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan preprocessors dropping packets on a si mple nmap-scan

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:11:13 +0100

Hi,

Gonzalez, Albert wrote:
It all depends on *how* your logging. If your monitoring fast pipes (ie: t1
and up)
you should try tcpdump format (-b or output log_tcpdump[1]) or even better
unified.

I'm doing that - no better results

If you log to binary, then you can run it back through snort with an
automated script
ACK, or Barnyard

etc... but with a full logging, that isn't very bright with fast pipes.

There are no reliable statements on how fast the network is allowed to
be.

According to my information, libpcap is able to capture about 700Mbit/s, so that should not be a capturing problem. I already
suspected that, since it was no problem to capture 40000 packets
in 2 seconds with tcpdump. So, it must be a processing problem.
But which preprocessor can handle so much traffic? It should be the
possible, to mask an attack with a simple nmap scan. Isn't that
quite easy to achieve?

Regards,

Edin_

Cheers!

[1] - http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5.6

PS:> This is well documented in the FAQ. You shouldn't log to full (im
assuming here) when
you're seeing alot of traffic.
---
Alberto Gonzalez
EDS - Global Security Operations Center
Security and Privacy Professional Servics