Snort mailing list archives

snort kill -HUP error openpcap

From: Sébastien Desse <sdesse () euresys fr>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:40:22 +0100

Hello,

A saw a lot of dicutions about this topic but no one correspoding to my
problem.

I launch snort 1.9 from /etc/init.d/snort script - NOT chrooted (On a debian
woody box)
When I run # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/snort_eth1.pid`
snort stops, start reloading and I get the following error :
snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR: OpenPcap() device eth0 open: ^Isocket: Operation
not permitted

The problem is (I think) that I use -u snort -g snort options because I
whant snort to run as snort user.
I don't understand why it can start sniffing with snort user identity but it
cannot reload with this ID !

Any idea ?

Regards,

Sebastien