Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort's Blocking Capability?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:13:16 +1200

Erek Adams wrote:

* Could a setup on the hacker's machine not simply ignore
   connection reset packets anyway?

Well you could ignore them, but unless you rewrite your own TCP/IP stack,
it's not terribly usful.
No need to rewrite the IP stack - e.g. the hacker could configure netfilter to just drop RSETS.
..However, pretty unlikely the attacked host is dropping them too...

But as you say - inline is the only real way of handling this reliably. Also note that "blocking" IDS can *really* sting you. I'm still smarting from two years ago when I allowed Snort to RSET CodeReds - totally killed one of our internal groups from uploading a particular PDF file to our DMZ. Apparently the CodeRed sig just happended to appear about 800K into the file :-) "I don't get it, the upload keeps failing at the same point..."

Be VERY careful with that sort of stuff. Virus-scanners have basically solved the FP problem due to recursive analysis and all sorts of double-checking - none of that is practical in an online IDS on 100M+ ethernet...

Jason