Snort mailing list archives

Re: Incomplete RPC segment - False Positives...

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:51:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Shawn Duffy wrote:

I have been running snort for some time now and I am currently running
snort 1.9.1 (Build 231) and my sigs were updated last on March 5th...
All of a sudden however... after my last reboot, I am noticing a huge
amount of alerts for Incomplete RPC Segment and Fragmented RPC Records
from my mail server, source 993... yes, I am using IMAP-SSL for mail...
I don't _believe_ anything has changed on the server-side and I know I
haven't changed anything and I have been using this mail server via
IMAP-SSL for almost a year now and have never seen this before...
Anyone know why this would happen or perhaps, has anyone seen this
before?

1.9.1 had a lot of changes in the RPC decoder.  This is one of the new
alerts that it can generate.  You can disable the alert by using the
'no_alert_incomplete' argument.  Check the snort.conf for details.

As to why it happened after a reboot...  I'd guess you never killed your
pre-1.9.1 copy that was running in memory.  You upgraded the binaries on
your side, but never stopped the process.  Due to the reboot, the new one
finally got started.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams