Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.0 libnet config --cflags broken still?

From: Jon <warchild () spoofed org>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:35:45 -0500

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 06:56:03PM -0500, Michael Scheidell wrote:
Just did a local test of snort2.0 compatibility (once I got past the libnet
thing)
Just downloaded 2.0.0 rc1.
got it made and installed, killed 1.9.1 snort running, started snort2.0 in
its place, it ran and nobody complained.
Great work guys.  I look forward to seeing its performance, just had one
minor thing, and anyone with FBSd might want to take notes:

Read in change log that the libnet config is fixed, but still get:

configure: warning: libnet-config --cflags is broken on your system.  If you
configure: warning: are using a precompiled package please notify the
configure: warning: maintainer.
checking for libnet.h... no

only workaround was provided by Erick Mechler when I had same problem in
snort 1.9.1.

"configure snort using this command:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
./configure --enable-flexresp
Then make and make install works.
os is FBSD 4.8-PRERELEASE.
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
automake (GNU automake) 1.6
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.6
using libnet-1.0.2a.

What, if anything, does `libnet-config --cflags` return?  What about
`libnet-config --libs` and `libnet-config --defines`?  I know at least in
the source distribution, libnet both does configure libnet-config for your
particular system and does not install it.  As such, it is up to the
packager (say, of a .deb or rpm) to do this.

All setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS is doing is working around the fact that
your libnet-config might not be outputing anything.

-jon