Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort "detect_scan" Bypass Alert

From: "Kalteis, Nico (Contractor)" <Nico.Kalteis () ed gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:14:21 -0500

That certainly makes sense, but at one point I even made a completely
stripped down version of the cnort.conf file that looked simply like this:

var HOME_NET any
var EXTERNAL_NET any
var HTTP_SERVERS any
var HTTP_PORTS any
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
# output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128
include c:\snort\etc\classification.config
include c:\snort\etc\reference.config
# alert tcp any any -> any any
alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe access";
content:"cmd.exe"; nocase;)

And that one didn't specify ANY preprocessors and STILL didn't log anything.
By the way, the way I am trying to trigger this rule, which has always
worked before, is to open a browser on another machine and typing
http://ipaddr_of_snort_machine/cmd.exe

Thanks for being so patient with me.  And I'll go try what you said anyway
:-)

Nico