Snort mailing list archives

Re: Just starting with snort on XP

From: "Patrick S. Harper" <lists () internetsecurityguru com>
Date: 28 Mar 2003 05:18:03 -0800

You need to install Winpcap on the system.  It can be found
http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/

There is wintel documentation on the snort.org site as well as at
http://www.silicondefense.com/support/windows/documentation.php

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 20:11, Barbara Pease wrote:
I downloaded snort-1_9_1.exe archive from snort.org and unbundled it.  A
directory  C:\Snort
was created with several subdirectories: bin, etc, log, contrib, rules
and doc and another executable called Uninstall.exe, suggesting its
function.  ;-) I found snort.exe in the bin directory with
LibnetNT.dll.  I ran the command prompt and cd C:\Snort then typed
.\bin\snort.exe -v just to get started as described in the user
documentation.  Running snort.exe always
consistently produces an "Unable to Locate Component" error window
stating that this application has failed to start because wpcap.dll was
not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Re-installing it did not make any difference. There is no such dll as
wpcap.dll on my system.  Does this dll come with snort or does it come
with something I need to run snort?  I am more familiar with Unix than
Windows; unfortunately I must install snort on an XP laptop for my
purposes.  I am also new to snort.

Best regards,
Barbara

Patrick S. Harper | CISSP MCSE