Snort mailing list archives

RE: Slammer Virus ruined my ACID and SNORT

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 27 Mar 2003 17:19:33 -0600

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 13:48, Maynard, Jeff S. wrote:
Sorry, the correct syntax would be : use snort; then delete from
acid_event where ip_src="xxxxxxxxx";

How does this help?  You can delete *everything* in the four ACID tables
and the next time you refresh ACID all two million events will return.
You have to delete the event records from the appropriate snort tables
to actually get rid of the alerts.

After I implemented my archiving script, I added four lines of code
(actually eight, but the first four were simply to properly format the
queries.)  Each night cron runs the script and all events older than 8
days are copied to an archive database and deleted from the snort
database.  The four lines that I added delete *everything* in the four
acid tables.  As soon as that happens, the next time ACID refreshes, it
will reload *everything* that's in the snort database.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer