Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort installation probs]

From: Jill Tovey <jill.tovey () bigbluedoor com>
Date: 27 Mar 2003 08:22:18 +0000

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 15:39, larc wrote:

    Hi,

    >Sensor Message sh: line 1: curl: command not found

    make sure that the curl binary is installed on your mamagement console and is in your path.

i have installed the last stable version of curl and it still gives that
error - how do i make sure it is installed on my management console and
in my path?

    >so it looks like when i went through the setup.sh script i should have
    >entered "/usr/sbin/snort" rather than "/usr/sbin" how can i edit this
    >now to be the right path?

    Edit the "config" file in the "conf" dir on your sensor agent
    snort_path=/usr/sbin/

if i go to the sensor agent and enter the conf directory - there doesnt
seem to be anything in there?
(typing ls, returns nothing) ?

however, trying to run setup.sh again, doesnt let me go past the first
question without saying its already installed and finishing !

:-/

Jilly

    Regards,
    Stefan
    ------------------------
     Jill Tovey <jill.tovey () bigbluedoor com> wrote:
    ------------------------
    Hi,

    >I have installed snort and various components successfully so far
    >
    >I am at the stage now where I am adding the sensor -
    >
    >the information I am typing in is as follows:
    >
    >enable sensor - ticked yes
    >sensor name - snort
    >sensor ip - 192.168.0.2
    >sensor port - 2525
    >username - admin
    >password - ******
    >Sensor Agent Type - snort centre agent v1 (ssl enabled)
    >Interface name to sniff - eth0
    >Snort command line - -U -o
    >
    >Now, when I go to view sensor it says this:
    >
    >snort ->eth0 Can't Connect to 192.168.0.2:2525 Retry Connecting
    >
    >Sensor Message sh: line 1: curl: command not found
    >
    >I have tried a few variations on the sensor - such as using 192.168.0.2,
    >eth0, different name, etc
    >
    >now, when i go to https://localhost:2525/
    >
    >i find this error:
    >
    >Current config file error:
    >sh: line 1: /usr/sbinsnort: No such file or directory
    >
    >so it looks like when i went through the setup.sh script i should have
    >entered "/usr/sbin/snort" rather than "/usr/sbin" how can i edit this
    >now to be the right path?
    >
    >or if this problem is due to some other error then could you please let
    >me know.
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >
    >Jill
    >

    >Hi,
    >

    >I have installed snort and various components successfully so far
    >

    >I am at the stage now where I am adding the sensor -
    >

    >the information I am typing in is as follows:
    >

    >enable sensor - ticked yes
    >
    >sensor name - snort
    >
    >sensor ip - 192.168.0.2
    >
    >sensor port - 2525
    >
    >username - admin
    >
    >password - ******
    >
    >Sensor Agent Type - snort centre agent v1 (ssl enabled)
    >
    >Interface name to sniff - eth0
    >
    >Snort command line - -U -o
    >

    >Now, when I go to view sensor it says this:
    >

    >snort -&gt;eth0 Can't Connect to 192.168.0.2:2525 Retry Connecting
    >

    >Sensor Message sh: line 1: curl: command not found
    >

    >I have tried a few variations on the sensor - such as using 192.168.0.2, eth0, different name, etc
    >

    >now, when i go to https://localhost:2525/
    >

    >i find this error:
    >

    >Current config file error:
    >
    >sh: line 1: /usr/sbinsnort: No such file or directory
    >

    >so it looks like when i went through the setup.sh script i should have entered &quot;/usr/sbin/snort&quot; rather
than &quot;/usr/sbin&quot; how can i edit this now to be the right path?