Snort mailing list archives

SCAN Amanda and port 0 traffic

From: Clayton Mascarenhas <masclaythesnort () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:57:37 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

I have two questions.

Firstly, I got this alert.

01/29-00:45:00.105251 [**] [1:634:2] SCAN Amanda client version request [**] [Classification: Attempted Information
Leak] [Priority: 2] {UDP} 1.12.13.14:841-> 2.23.24.25:10080

My understanding is that Snort caught a udp packet (containing the word amanda and I guess asking for the version of
the amanda client program running) going to Amanda program running on 2.23.24.25. My understanding in the Amanda
software is not good... but..why would anyone want to send a udp packet to this software package running on that host??
Do they get any info back? Does it cause any harm to the host machine? Shud I be worried about this alert? Why does it
say "request" as in SCAN Amanda client version "request".

Second question is with regards to the tcp traffic sent to port 0. Snort catches this traffic and lists this as BAD
traffic to port 0. Is it at all harmful if our host machines receive traffic to port 0? If not .. what gain does an
attacker get out of this??

Thanks all :-).