Snort mailing list archives

Rule set not initializing

From: "Monkey Boy" <hydra291 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:07:23 -0500

Greets, I was once able to get the rule set to initialize and filter a binary log through the ruleset. I did this by involing snort from within the rule directory. I then installed snort 1.9.1 and attempted to do the same. I got
the error unable to initialize rule, rules not found /root/. and so on.
I then went into the snort.conf and changed the var RULE_PATH ./ To where the rules were in my drive ie: /home/don/snort-1.9.1/rules and tried to run it again with the same error, --> unable to initialize rules.... If someone could point out where I am going wrong it would be most appreciated. The binary file is fine as snort
will process it.
Cheers!
Don