Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenPcap() error

From: Robert Cole <robert.cole () support4linux com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:46:57 -0800

Ummm...  You've got something wrong on your side.  I'm testing this and
get _no_ errors using those two statements.

      useradd snort
      groupadd snort
[add those two lines to the very top of snort.conf]

The useradd and groupadd statements? They woud fail because of this output you
requested:

      grep snort /etc/{group,passwd,shadow}

/etc/group:snort:x:407:snort
/etc/passwd:snort:x:1000:407:snort:/var/log/snort:/dev/false
/etc/shadow:snort:!:12128:0:99999:7:::

      snort -T -c /path/to/snort.conf

It will check it's config.  If it's wrong, it will fail.  If it's correct,
it will just cleanly exit.  If that happens....

It does exit cleanly

      snort -c /path/to/snort

Should make it work.

It does except when it sits there logging to the screen taking the tty
session. Loggin onto another term and doing a ps shows me that snort is
running as root.

Also if I remove your output alert_syslog command I get this error:

Mar 18 11:03:28 logger snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR: OpenPcap() device any open:
socket: Operation not permitted
Mar 18 11:09:03 logger snort: WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth0 network lookup:
eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
Mar 18 11:09:03 logger snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR in OpenAlertFile() => fopen()
alert file /var/log/snort/alert: No such file or directory

The directory exists and snort.snort has access to it.

I haven't been using the system script to start snort just the binary.

Thanks for all your help. It's appreciated :)

Robert