Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error starting Snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:45:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Byron York wrote:

I upgraded to 1.9.1, recompiled, installed, and now when I try to start
with:

/usr/local/bin/snort -Afull -D -s -c /usr/local/bin/rules/snort.conf

I get in my messages:

Mar 14 11:46:02 mail snort: ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
^Iparse error
Mar 14 11:46:02 mail snort: FATAL ERROR: PCAP command:
/usr/local/bin/rules/snort.conf

-s has the ability to have a parameter, but it's not used.  So simply
change your command line to:

    /usr/local/bin/snort -A full -c /usr/local/bin/rules/snort.conf -D -s

And all will be fine.

If you want to shorten that command line down, add this to snort.conf:

        config daemon
        output alert_syslog: <facility> <priority>
        output alert_full: <logfile_name>

then:

        ln -s /usr/local/bin/rules/snort.conf /etc/snort.conf

And then:

        /usr/local/bin/snort

:)

-----