Snort mailing list archives

RE: P2P GNUTella GET

From: Always Bishan <bishan4u () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:14:54 +0000 (GMT)

hi

I'm a little confused by Ken and Erek's responses.
I thought that
this rule is triggered by Gnutella traffic FROM
Bishan's network TO an
external host.  In that case, the rule is to alert
him that one of his
users is attempting to run Gnutella.

Yes thats true. Some machine from my network is
accessing this website

 If I'm reading
that right, then
what would be the point of blinding the rule to 8080
traffic?  At that
point, he may as well just comment out the rule
altogether.

yes, but there is no rule in p2p.rules for 8080 port,
its only for 80 port no.

i think using pass rule will help, passing all the
traffic from my network to port 8080 on internet.

if i'm wrong or if any other technique is there,
please post me.

regards,
Bishan