Snort mailing list archives

Bandwidth measurements and correlations

From: "Gordon Cunningham" <gcunnin2 () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:37:14 -0500

Has anyone taken time to set up and measure Snort logging and alerting
bandwidth requirements in correlation to the machine/CPU speeds and network
wire traffic levels?  Are there any published guides about this kind of
measurement?  I need to estimate WAN load that would be generated by a
remote Snort sniffer if we use a central database repository for logging
packet payloads, alerts, or both, so that I can make a decision about the
kind of segment traffic that would require a local storage capability rather
than remote database.

Positive:  Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?  Experiences?

- Gordon