Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort as Network Intrusion Detection system - Help Needed

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:15:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:

[...snip...]

Whenever it detects a scan on a port, it first tries to resolve the IP
address vis DNS Lookup. If the IP is resolved,
it replaces the IP with the hostname and logs.
If the IP is not resolved, it will not query back via NetBIOS, but just
logs the event.

Now I would like to run SNORT as an Intrusion Detection System on my
Linux Desktop running RedHat Linux 8.0
with snort-1.9.0 . My Linux Box is in the LAN.
I would also like to achieve the above functionality with snort. Please
help in achieving this .
What should I configure in my snort.conf file? Do I need to edit the
rules database?
Any guidance is appreciated.

Snort doesn't do this, as DNS lookups take time out from processing what
really matters, 'packets on the wire'.

You'll have to do something to post-process the snort logs if you really
need to see a hostname....

Besides, what's wrong with "nslookup <foo>"?  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams